Personal Injury Attorneys in Manassas, Virginia
John D. Whittington began practicing law in 1981. He has focused on representing victims of personal injury in Virginia for more than three decades and West Virginia since 1999. Whittington Law focuses solely on the individuals who need their help the most. John Whittington proudly admits, “It’s basically all I’ve ever done.”
It is the firm’s choice to represent individuals who are victims of personal injury.
Experienced Personal Injury & Wrongful Death Attorney
Since 1986, John D. Whittington has represented personal injury victims in the Commonwealth of Virginia, and in West Virginia as well, beginning in 1999. Our wealth of experience allows us to handle cases far and wide while pursuing justice for our clients so they can return to enjoying a healthy lifestyle.
Our experience in wrongful death cases is also broad. Losing a loved one changes lives, and shapes the way survivors move forward. We take a hand in delivering solace to these families by holding the potential person or company responsible for their loss.
Most recently, we successfully concluded a wrongful death case in South Dakota, and before then in Florida. Our goal is always the same: Delivering justice for our clients and their families.
Why Choose Whittington Law?
Our firm’s commitment to its clients’ and their successes.
- John Whittington understands how competitive the personal injury attorney landscape can be: “When someone hires me, you get me”
- Our firm provides one on one legal advice and experience, allowing our clients to partner with us to achieve a combined goal
- We have two dedicated paralegals
- One who has spent the past decade with John, sharing her 20 years of experience with our clients
- The other is a certified paralegal who has spent the past several years devoted to our office and its clients and is now pursuing a law degree at George Mason University.
We Are a Team
We are very fortunate to have a talented team who shares a common goal of helping the people who need it most. We provide personalized service and direct communication and believe it makes a difference representing real people, with real personal injury claims. It is important to John that our clients speak directly with him, and that she/he has access to his direct line. Direct communication is our lifeline to success. Nothing gets lost in translation.
Complete Representation: From Start to Finish
From the very first phone call, until a verdict or settlement, we handle our cases from start to finish. This dedicated approach allows us to understand every nuance of a case, so we can capitalize on its strengths, as well as defend against its weaknesses.
We pride ourselves in handling our cases with zeal and commitment and understand where we may need to hire an outside expert to help solidify the case and its specific components. A notable example would be hiring someone to set up a Special Needs Trust for severely injured clients, to avoid their existing benefits from being disrupted. We think ahead so our clients receive our best representation in each case we handle.
There are also areas of the law we do not specialize in, including appeals and civil cases that are heard before the Virginia Supreme Court. While we do not lose many cases, sometimes it happens. Should it, we will help provide our clients with a specialized appeals’ attorney who can take over where we left off.
Making a Difference for Current and Future Clients
We at Whittington Law have been working on a case for several years that involved a young man with a traumatic brain injury. The obstacles were steep and began with the doctor who was treating the gentleman refusing to participate in the legal system to help our client recover damages sooner than later.
Among other setbacks, we were still able to substantiate that our client was suffering from a traumatic brain injury that would alter his life going forward. Once a settlement was reached, we received a lengthy, emotional and unsolicited email from his mother thanking us for our vigorous work and dedication to supplying their family with the means to move forward with her son’s education. Without the settlement, adjusting to their son’s injuries could have damaged their livelihood and dashed his personal dreams further. We fight for personal injury victims; they need our help to achieve justice.
We are personal injury legal advocates who focus on the laws and statutes our clients must operate within. If there is a statute that is poorly worded or exemplifies an error, we will work with the Virginia Trial Lawyers Association to amend the legislature behind it. We are forward thinking, and anticipate technicalities to allow our clients the best chance for success.
Understanding Personal Injury
Personal injury is damage to any part of your body. This could include a soft tissue injury to your neck or mid or low back, to broken bones, to paralysis.
At Whittington Law, we focus on personal injury and wrongful death as the result of
- Motor vehicle collisions
- Workplace Injury (in the Commonwealth of Virginia)
Our Legal Focuses
Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
Traumatic Brain Injury, or TBI, is something that often will not show up in a test. Thus, we encourage our clients to:
- See a qualified, board-certified neurologist as soon as possible
- Document face/head injuries fully
- Compile past and present medical records for review
- Record and provide information regarding past head injuries, including concussions
Truck accidents can be very scary, and incredibly injurious. The mere size of a tractor/trailer versus a passenger vehicle is overwhelming. We encourage anyone who has been involved in a truck accident to:
Go to an emergency room to access immediate medical care
Shock from the accident will where off, getting help right away will document and uncover true injuries
Obtain a police report, including the responding officer’s contact information and credentials
Spinal cord injuries can be very serious, and require immediate care to assess fully. We suggest anyone who thinks they may have hurt their back or neck to:
Immediately access medical care via an emergency room
Do not take chances with self-diagnosing spinal injuries, get professional help
Unfortunately, we have handled a number of wrongful death cases. These cases are very tough for everyone involved, and a lot of lives are impacted by the sudden loss of a loved one. In these cases, we operate differently than most firms in our process. We think of our clients first, and recommend:
- Taking the time to grieve
- Spending time with loved ones
- Understanding the next steps through our firm, when emotionally ready
What Difference Can a Personal Injury Attorney Make?
At Whittington Law, we will always be available for a consultation. Grieving is important, but if our clients feel that evidence of the death may be being destroyed or lost, we suggest that a friend or family member consult our office on their behalf initially.
Depending on the personal injury, the case or the size of the damages:
- Not everyone will need an attorney to help maneuver their legal claim
- Attorneys can help provide precise clarity on insurance coverage, health insurance liens, including Medicare or Medicaid liens that may need to be paid back after the settlement
John has been practicing personal injury law for nearly four decades, and can provide exceptional and proactive legal advice. At Whittington Law, our initial consultation is free, so there is no reason for personal injury victims to bypass learning more about what they may be entitled to by law.
What to Bring to the Initial Consultation
After an accident, there are several items that can support a personal injury claim. While our prospective clients may not have all the following items, it is important to bring as many as are available, including:
- Police report, if generated and available
- Accident information exchange: person’s name, insurance information, make of car
- Photos or videos shot from the scene on electronic devices, or physical images
- Personal records, including license, car insurance, registration and homeowner’s insurance, where applicable
- Medical records from the accident
Anything believed to be applicable to the accident is welcome. If it isn’t important, there is no loss in having it on hand. John will determine if any information is missing, and devise a plan to retrieve it.
What Should Happen After a Personal Injury Occurs?
To avoid further injury after an accident, use the following list as a guideline:
- If possible, do not get out of the vehicle until the police or paramedics arrive and can move you safely
- Give the police or medic your information, and be sure they retrieve the other person’s information for your records
- Get prompt, professional medical care in an emergency room, no matter how you feel
- Do not provide a recorded statement to an insurance company; yours or the other person’s
- Talk to an attorney before you talk to an insurance company representative
- Don’t try to preserve evidence at the scene, or help with another’s medical care
You and your family’s care and safety should be the prime focus after an accident. Do not let anything stand in the way of that.
Contact WhittingtonLaw Today for Help
We focus on personal injury and wrongful death in Manassas, VA so we can provide the best representation available to our community. If you or a loved one has been hurt in an accident, contact John Whittington today at (703) 257-5668 for a free consultation.